jemidar

jemidar

Avid reader and history nerd.

Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
Lucy Worsley

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jemidar has read 64 books toward a goal of 78 books.
hide

quotes Jemidar likes

Queen of Misfortune - Peter Carroll
I have given much, much thought on how to rate this book because it seemed unfair to me to give a single star to a book that did entertain me and make me laugh, but finally decided that to do otherwise would be misleading.

This book was a real mess in so many ways that it's hard to know where to begin describing it. The writing was, at best, amateurish and repetitive, with lots of distracting grammatical and spelling errors. The author also seemed to have little grasp and no understanding of the historical events, people, culture and religion he was writing about, the thinness of his research rendering several scenes hilarious which I believe was not his original intention. And if that wasn't enough, the presentation and formatting of this Kindle edition left a lot to be desired.

Having said all that, I did find it entertaining if not exactly enjoyable. It was so bad that it became funny, especially around the middle where Mary Sidney enters the scene. And the one thing you can't fault this author on is his enthusiasm. He took things that in other hands would've been merely cliched and turned them into something else altogether, which in some ways was refreshing, and took the usual badly written, badly edited and badly researched self published book to a whole new level of ridiculousness :-D.

This book is a bundle of contradictions not only in the writing and information it provides the reader but also in how the reader responds to it. Logically my brain told me it should be a wallbanger but I found it strangely compelling, in a train wreck kind of way. On one hand it's probably the worst book I will ever read, but on the other, I believe it has the potential to become a cult classic among die-hard Tudor/Jane Grey fans.