jemidar

jemidar

Avid reader and history nerd.

Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
Lucy Worsley

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jemidar has read 64 books toward a goal of 78 books.
hide

quotes Jemidar likes

The Accidental Tourist - Anne Tyler
Buddy read with Kim.

I first read this back in the late eighties and loved it, and recently decided to do a re-read just to see if I still loved it as much. I've changed and my life circumstances have changed, so I wondered...

And I'm happy to say that not only do I still love it, but I think I love it a lot more than I did the first time around. Call it accumulated life experience if you like, but it had a resonance and a poignancy that touched me at a much deeper level. I laughed, I cried, I cheered Macon on, and hissed when someone threatened to get in the way of his journey out of grief. At times his story was heartbreaking but it was ultimately uplifting, so worth every second I spent in his company. I would love to count Macon Leary amoung my friends.

Anne Tyler is an amazing author. She makes her flawed and quirky characters so vulnerable and human, and writes about them so compassionately that you can't help but like them and empathize with them. I don't know of another author who can reach out from the page and make me feel so deeply or care so much. She is a real talent.

I would highly recommend this book to all :-).