jemidar

jemidar

Avid reader and history nerd.

Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
Lucy Worsley

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jemidar has read 64 books toward a goal of 78 books.
hide

quotes Jemidar likes

The Greengage Summer - Rumer Godden
This wasn't at all what I expected but in a good way. It's not my usual type of book so I was a little surprised that I liked it so much I read it in one sitting only putting it down for absolute necessities.

Ostensibly a coming of age story about the awakening of sexuality, it deals with ordinary people put in an extraordinary situation where unworldly children (ranging in ages from sixteen to four years old are suddenly thrust into a very worldly adult environment without proper supervision. How the various characters deal with the situation and each other is very human and natural--warts and all. The story is told through the innocent eyes of a thirteen year old girl and raises questions about perceptions, appearances, love, loyalty, deceit and the consequences of ones actions.

Apparently, this is based on a real story experienced by the author when she was abroad with her mother and siblings when she was 15 and her older sister was 18. Sometimes reality really is stranger than fiction.