jemidar

jemidar

Avid reader and history nerd.

Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
Lucy Worsley

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jemidar has read 64 books toward a goal of 78 books.
hide

quotes Jemidar likes

The Argentinian Virgin - Jim  Williams
More like 3.5 stars.

This is a really hard book for me to rate as I really liked the author's writing style and found it to be an enjoyable page turner. However, there's something about it that didn't quite gel for me. Not really sure what it was but I suspect I didn't quite buy into Tom, a pivotal character in both the mystery and the relationship dynamics of the group. Everyone loved Tom. Everyone it would seem but me.

Basically it's a story about a group of rich, carefree and careless Americans hanging out in France during WWII. As the Germans invade they leave Paris moving further south, meeting up with a young Irish writer along the way. There's kind of a Gatsby vibe to the set up and Pat, the young Irish writer, plays the Nick Carraway type observer. That summer in 1941 will be life changing for them all and twenty years on Pat wants to find out what really happened.

Parts of the mystery I guessed but other parts were a surprise, and there was a nice twist at the end. Occasionally the first person narration strayed into difficult territory as there was stuff the reader needed to know that Pat couldn't know at the time which often led to distracting jumps in time. On the whole though it was an interesting and enjoyable read.

Thanks to LibraryThing: Early Reviewers and Marble City Publishing for making the ARC available.